Manduka 71-Inch PROlite Travel Yoga and Pilates Mat

on Saturday, October 16, 2010

Manduka 71-Inch PROlite Travel Yoga and Pilates Mat Review By yogaddict

I bought this mat for three reasons: 1. I was hoping to find a mat on which I wouldn't slip as much, 2. I needed a slightly thicker mat than the one I'd had (no idea what brand, just something cheap I picked up at a yoga studio), 3. I didn't want toxic chemicals leaching or out-gassing from my mat. On all accounts, I'm basically happy.
This is definitely a heavy-duty construction and I believe it will last a lifetime, even of daily use. The material is really dense, not squishy, but it does cushion the joints very well. The mat is not super-light, but I carry it to and from the studio with no problems (unlike the Black Mat, which is really heavy!). It also really stays put on the floor - doesn't slide around or bunch up at all.

I've learned that NO mat is completely slip-proof, if you're sweating a lot while you practice. However, I only slip on this one if I'm sweating a ton, and just wiping my hands with a towel is enough to stop the slippage, on the rare occasions when it happens.

Even though the mat is PVC- and phthalate-free, it did smell like chemicals when I got it (that's normal, from the manufacturing process). I washed it immediately with Dr. Bronner's hemp soap, which got rid of most of the chemical smell. I've washed it a few times since, used it constantly, and now it doesn't smell.

Finally, I love the shade of purple that it comes in, it's not very pink-ish, instead it's more of a blue-y purple. In all, I highly enjoy this mat and recommend it to anyone who wants to buy just one mat, tote it around, and use it forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment